Friday, July 23, 2021

2008 - Buffalo Springs Lake Triathlon - 70.3

A big sky lies upon the west Texas plain, it rests on grass. Wind buffets the grass and at one point the grass gives way to a deep canyon carved into the plain by an ancient spring. A lake formed at bottom, when the spring was dammed, and the water is now used for the amusement of men.

Every year a unique brand of Triathlete makes their way to the West Texas town of Lubbock to challenge themselves, and each other on this course, in this canyon.

Often hot, blazing hot, the big skies do open up and when they do, the course is transformed.

The athletes that race at Buffalo Springs Lake Triathlon (BSLT) are much like the weather … they are at opposite ends … extremes. Locals participating for fun ... proud of their namesake event, mix with “slot hungry” racers from around the country and reining age-group world champions and pro’s who choose to race BSLT because the course is hard, the conditions are hard, tests their mettle, and because the locals are as friendly as the skies are big. In Texas, the rules are enforced - the race is clean.

Race day weather was wet, windy, hailed. Temps were great, low 70's on the run ... humidity was high 85-90%. Lightning danced around the course.

I had a good swim, but lost time, as I swam "hand slap" left, due to a clog of "strugglers", on a straight line/right buoy and had to retrace, by request of a “paddler,” to capture it on the right.

I noted in my Wildflower report that my transitions were slow - rusty. I remedied that between May and June and “T1” was very fast.

The bike was a blast. I rode without a heart rate monitor or watt meter. I rode my Cervelo P3C and a Blackwell Research Disk with a crazy deep (fast!) Blackwell Research front wheel. While a little “dicey” in the 30 mph gusty crosswinds when speeding down into the canyons, it was a great combo in the flat and rolling sections!

Cytomax was my nutrition thanks to my race buddy “Kim Bruce” who brought what I had forgotten (Duoh!). Luckily she was over-prepared as I would have felt completely at risk with anything other than my proven mix! I should note that Kim was one of those “slot hungry” racers who took on some of the best age-groupers in the nation to punch her Kona ticket! Aloha, Kim, Ho'omaika'i Ana!


 I was off the bike in 1st AG position – posting the 30th fastest overall bike split for the day, including the large Pro field. I rode the course well ... felt happy the entire ride, enjoyed the bonus of “epic” weather, rain in my face, never went too deep or into debt and therefore came off t ride feeling rather smart for the run. Nice to know, with Kona in my sights, that I could have held the same bike pace, for the full distance, with little concern. 

 T2 was also very fast – ran with no socks which is only possible because of Nike’s wonderful Zoom Elite shoes that Marty Breen at Forward Motion Sports had recommended. 

I pulled my visor down low and ran "out" for a focused effort. I ran “swiftly/softly” at max’ sustainable pace (for this day) the entire run. I took *zero* aid as my Cytomax bike “cocktails” had given me the calories and “oomph” I needed to find the finish. I simply ran from start to finish non-stop. I lost two positions on the run. 

I have a lot work to do to come back, and although I still have arm pain from the injuries I sustained when a car hit me, my run has been the slowest discipline to come back - too many surgeries and time at home recovering. I will stay focused and keep on top of my commitment to get back to 100% by time I get to Hawaii in October.

I was fine with an AG 3 finish result as it represented the best I could give to the course, to my family who have given me the gift of "freedom" to pursue my passion for this sport, and to my sponsors who stayed with me when I was out and doing them little good.

I also want to thank Doc and the TBB crew who have allowed me to "listen in" and take from them a renewed love of racing.

Also gratifying to enjoy a podium finish connected to such a difficult course, contested by such worthy competitors, hosted by this wonderful community, under the wide open skies of West Texas.